Nashville: The Health Care Industry Capital
Nashville is home to a diverse health care cluster with leaders in a number of industry niches that impact the health care landscape locally, nationally and internationally.
- The Nashville health care industry contributes an overall economic benefit of nearly $30 billion and more than 200,000 jobs to the local economy annually.
- Globally, Nashville’s health care industry generates more than $70 billion in revenue and more than 400,000 jobs.
- More than 250 health care companies have operations in Nashville and work on a multi-state, national or international basis, with more than 300 professional service firms (e.g., accounting, architecture, banking, legal) providing expertise in the health care industry.
- Fifteen publicly traded health care companies are located in Nashville. HCA’s 2011 return to Wall Street marked the largest-ever U.S. private equity-backed public offering.
- The health care industry is Nashville’s largest and fastest growing employer, directly employing 110,000, an increase of more than 20 percent from 90,000 jobs in 2004.
- With a 50 percent increase from 1995 to 2008, clinical provider job growth in Nashville has outpaced the nation (35 percent) and Tennessee (40 percent).
- A survey of Nashville Health Care Council member CEOs shows great confidence in the Nashville market; 95 percent indicated that a Nashville headquarters location is important to their company’s positive performance.
Home to an unparalleled diversity of health care companies, Nashville remains a one-of-a-kind center of innovation in the U.S., with a worldwide impact on the industry landscape. Our executives continue to be national leaders in setting trends and implementing industry improvements that are later seen across the country.
Caroline Young, President, Nashville Health Care Council
Download additional information about Nashville's health care industry and the Council.
* This analysis includes 56 health care industry headquarters with more than $500,000 in revenue and at least 100 employees.